World over, prostate related issues are on the increase, but control and cure have progressed at a remarkably successful rate. A larger percentage of men seem to develop one form or another of prostate disorders. It is something we should be concerned about because it is the protector gland of the male reproductory system. Its main function is to produce the bulk of semen fluid. It also regulates the urinary flow from the bladder through the urethra. Typical issues are of these kinds-
- An inflammation of the gland is called Prostasis, sometimes causing pelvic pain,
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia or BPH (more common in older men) which is an enlargement of the prostate causing urination problems, and
- Prostate cancer is again more common in men above 65 years, symptoms may not be easily seen, and therefore regular investigations are a must. Symptoms are usually connected with urinary frequency, flow and pain or blood in urination.
Prostate health can easily be maintained by some of these simple measures-
- Have regular check-ups: This is especially so for people nearing or over 50 years of age. And obviously, if there are symptoms of a disorder or pain in the urination or ejaculation process, then age is insignificant, and you must rule out any prostate disorder.
- Have foods supportive of prostate health: a low protein, low fat diet, though not conclusively proven is said to be a good measure against prostate problems. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, oils rich in beta sitosterol like saw palmetto, flax seed, etc. are good for the same.
- Maintain a stress free life: This will include good stretches and a regularized discipline of sleep, outdoor activity or sport, and especially a healthy romance and sex life.
- Be realistic and take supplements if necessary: Do this as per your consultant’s advice, based on regular check-ups. Modern lifestyles often take its toll on natural immunity levels and desirable stability and therefore you may do well to investigate the use of a beta sitosterol supplement in your diet. Look for supplement recommendations that provide helpful co-nutrients like vitamins and minerals.
The above simple measures should keep most men with healthy prostates. It may important to repeat that symptoms are never severe to start with, so regular checks and a complimentary health plan is the key.